FAQ-Stay Motivated to Exercise With A Workout Buddy
Log Your Workout
FAQ: How can I stay motivated to exercise?
Voted “Best Answer” by Yahoo! Answers
Getting out the door that very first time is the hardest thing. Here are a few ideas that can help:
- Buy yourself a new workout outfit, shoes, etc. Having something new to put on makes a difference.
- Buy a pedometer. It’s fun to try to wrack up the steps! Shoot for 10,000 steps a day. That’s roughly equivalent to 5 miles!
- Start small. Don’t tell yourself that you have to go out and exercise for an hour. If doing it for only 15 minutes gets you out the door, then start with 15 minutes! Research is beginning to show that several 10-15 minute sessions a day are just as effective as one 30-minute session!
- Keep an exercise log. It’s one of the most motivating things you can do.
- Listen to music on an iPod, books on tape; talk radio, or whatever interests you.
- Try to find a workout buddy. It makes all the difference in the world!
- Try different activities. Some things that are out of your comfort zone may be the most fun. Think in terms of jogging, power walking, inline skating, dancing, swimming laps, jumping rope, jumping jacks, etc.
- Try some of the exercise DVDs that you can use at home. Many can be purchased in bookstores but they can also be checked out of the library or rented from a video store.
- Sign up for a yoga or Pilates or Boot Camp class at your local YMCA or Rec. Center. They’re a great way to meet people and you might find a workout buddy.
Hope these suggestions help. Good luck!
View the original question and answer at Yahoo! Answers